“Adventure is a path. Real adventure - self-determined, self-motivated, often risky - forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind - and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” - Mark Jenkins

What's next?

Teaching job in Arras, France!
September-June

A Jersey girl traveling the world one country at a time....

Monday, May 31, 2010

Milano in retrospect

I want to go back to Italy. That's all there really is to it. I want to wake up in the morning to the church bells outside my window, almost light my hand on fire trying to light the stove to make eggs, watch weird Italian soap operas, watch shady characters go into the apartment two doors down, sit around the dining room table talking to my girls and deciding what to do that day. I miss the annoying shutters on the windows and the fact that almost all the furniture in our apartment was broken. I miss the lack of lighting and complaining about how our eyesight was getting progressively worse. I miss the people yelling at me in rapid Italian in the grocery store about my credit card not working. I miss the creepers on the bus and how inconvenient the train system was.

But most of all I miss the people. I miss being able to see those girls every day and go out on the weekends and create great (albeit sometimes dramatic) memories. Angela, I really do miss you standing in our doorway with a cigarette in one hand and a beer in the other saying, "I'M SO FUCKING PISSED OFF RIGHT NOW. I WANT TO KILL *insert name here*" I miss Leah playing Ke$ha on repeat and hearing Steph sigh in the other room saying, "Leah, seriously? Do we have to listen to this again?" I miss our drinking rosé wine out of nutella jars. CLASSY! I miss belting out Journey and awkward times at the pizza place.

I miss you girls <3

If I could live it all again with the crappy train system, the creepers, Micky, our drug-selling neighbors, drama, Stefano, no lighting, living in the Bronx of Milan, broken pans and one sharp knife that I "always hoarded" I would. If I could, I'd rewind time to that weekend in Venice when we were still getting to know each other and smile, knowing I was about to create 4 incredible months of memories and make amazing friends...both of which will last a lifetime.

No comments: