“Adventure is a path. Real adventure - self-determined, self-motivated, often risky - forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind - and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” - Mark Jenkins

What's next?

Teaching job in Arras, France!
September-June

A Jersey girl traveling the world one country at a time....

Saturday, April 17, 2010

One month left!!

So... I have 4 weeks left officially. I don't know where the time went, but I found myself thinking a lot the past few days about the end of....an era, really. I was sitting with one of my friends the other night at dinner, and we were reflecting on what it will be like to go home. And it got me thinking... How is this going to end?

I remember sitting in Charles De Gaulle airport in Paris last spring waiting for my flight to Chicago, thinking, "that's it...it's over. I can never get this experience back." There was a finality to stepping on that plane that made me uneasy. I was never again going to call 22 Rue Lamblardie my home, nor was I going to be able to take the elevator upstairs to chat with one of my good friends. She lived a solid 24-hour drive away from me in the states, and seeing her again was going to take a year or two. I wasn't going to be able to see the lights of the Eiffel tower from my apartment, nor was I going to be able to go to 'Mix' for free on Thursday nights to dance with my friends. It was the ending of that chapter of my life and time to go back to "reality". The days leading up to our departure, many of my friends were extremely upset, but I wasn't half as upset as them. I think it was because I knew that I was going to study abroad again, so the studying abroad "chapter" of my life wasn't over yet. But now, as I sit here with exactly one month left until I leave, I know when I get to Malpensa airport on May 16th it's going to be very tough for me. No more contemplating where I want to study abroad again, no opportunities to live in another country... at least, no chances in the near future. I will live abroad again, I know, but it really is like closing a chapter in my life. Back to reality...and time to grow up.

Which poses an even scarier question: What in God's name am I going to do after graduation? Move back home and go to law school? Take a year off and teach english in Thailand? Brazil? So many options...it's overwhelming.

I've been thinking a lot about doing some sort of traveling writing, even though I don't have any experience but you've got to start somewhere right? So in order to get myself out there, I've taken the small step of making a Twitter account. You can follow me at: https://twitter.com/C_SanDiego.

Next post will be about spring break: Greece, Cyprus, Nice and Monaco!

Miss you all.

No comments: